What is HF10?
The Nevro HF10 is a type of Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS) and is named for its ability to deliver high-frequency stimulation at 10 kHz. It is a non-addictive, minimally-invasive and reversible option that provides patients with long-term chronic pain relief. It is FDA-approved for driving and is covered by Medicare and most private insurers.
How Does it Work?
Evidence shows that delivering mild electrical pulses to the nerves interrupts the transmission of pain signals to the brain, thus reducing pain. A small device is implanted under the skin, just above the beltline or in the buttocks area that transmits mild electrical pulses to the spinal cord, calming the nerves and reducing pain signals to the brain. Implanting HF10 is typically an outpatient procedure, which means you will likely go home the same day.
What are the Benefits?
Unlike traditional spinal cord stimulation devices, which deliver low-frequency electrical pulses to mask the chronic pain with sensations commonly perceived as tingling, prickling, pins-and-needles, or vibrating, this high-frequency device delivers pain relief without the sensations.
Other benefits include:
- 4 out of 5 people experience meaningful long-term pain relief
- Provides significant relief for back and leg pain
- It is non-addictive and does not cause drowsiness or constipation
- 88% of patients treated with HF10 are more independent because of reduced pain
- The procedure is completely reversible
- It can be left on 24 hours a day, 7 days per week
- One-week temporary trial available
- Patients can cut back on pain medications
According to a study earlier this year, HF10 therapy was shown to increase the odds of pain relief more than medical therapy when patients are faced with chronic spine or limb pain. In the study, researchers discovered that:
- Spinal stimulation compared to medical therapy significantly increased the odds of reducing pain by 50 percent
- Spinal stimulation compared to medical therapy significantly reduced pain as measured by the Visual Analogue Scale (VAS)
- Using the common comparator of medical therapy, newer stimulation technology (including HF10) led to increased odds of pain relief compared to conventional spinal stimulation.
Is it Safe?
Yes. HF10 safely delivers stimulation that does not interfere with normal sensory perception, cognitive abilities, or motor functions. It doesn’t interact with pain medications or require major surgery, and it is completely reversible.
Also, HF10 is designated as “Superior” by the FDA, the first and only device of its kind approved with this rating for getting the best results in chronic back and leg pain.
If you are suffering from chronic pain, call us today at 818-325-2088 for a consultation with a pain specialist at CSPP.